Jump to Main Content
- Kos, Martine; Tuijl, Maarten A. B.; de Roo, Joris; Mulder, Patrick P. J.; Bezemer, T. Martijn
- Oikos 2015 v.124 no.5 pp. 658-667
- Aphis (Aphididae), etc ; soil fungi; plant biochemistry; pyrrolizidine alkaloids; soil nutrients; tertiary amines; nutrient availability; plant-insect relations; herbivores; soil; amino acids; Jacobaea vulgaris; phloem; biomass; metabolites; Show all 15 Subjects
- ... Plant–soil feedback (PSF) effects on plant performance can be influenced by the availability of nutrients in the soil. Recent studies have shown that PSF effects can also change aboveground plant–insect interactions via soil‐mediated changes in plant quality, but whether this is influenced by soil nutrient availability is unknown. We examined how fertilisation influences PSF effects on aboveground ...
- Nelson, Annika S.; Pratt, Riley T.; Pratt, Jessica D.; Smith, Richard Alexander; Symanski, Cole T.; Prenot, Cathrine; Mooney, Kailen A.
- Oikos 2019 v.128 no.4 pp. 540-550
- Aphis (Aphididae), etc ; Formica podzolica; altitude; ant colonies; carbohydrates; container-grown plants; foraging; latitude; mutualism; natural enemies; prediction; snowmelt; stable isotopes; summer; temperature; trophic levels; valleys; Show all 17 Subjects
- ... Although species interactions are often proposed to be stronger at lower latitudes and elevations, few studies have evaluated the mechanisms driving such patterns. In this study, we assessed whether, and by which mechanisms, abiotic changes associated with elevation altered the outcome of an ant–aphid protection mutualism. To do so, we characterized the multi‐trophic interactions among the ant For ...