Jump to Main Content
- Mazzolli, Marcelo; Haag, Taiana; Lippert, Beatriz G.; Eizirik, Eduardo; Hammer, Matthias L.A.; Al Hikmani, Khalid
- Oryx 2017 v.51 no.2 pp. 290-297
- Caracal caracal, etc ; Canis lupus; Capra; DNA; Gazella; Hyaena hyaena; Hystrix indica; Procavia capensis; biosphere; cameras; feces; gazelles; labor force; professionals; risk reduction; surveys; volunteers; wild animals; wildlife; wolves; Oman; Show all 21 Subjects
- ... We compared the effectiveness of various methods for surveying medium and large wild mammals in southern Oman. Working with volunteers recruited by Biosphere Expeditions, wildlife professionals and local rangers, we used direct observation, camera traps, sign surveys (tracks and/or dung) and molecular scatology to study 66 sampling units of 2 × 2 km (grid cells) in an area of 32 × 36 km during a 4 ...
- Thorn, Michelle; Green, Matthew; Keith, Mark; Marnewick, Kelly; Bateman, Philip W.; Cameron, Elissa Z.; Scott, Dawn M.
- Oryx 2011 v.45 no.4 pp. 579-586
- Caracal caracal, etc ; Acinonyx jubatus; Canis; Hyaena hyaena; Panthera pardus; camera trapping; carnivores; extinction; interviews; jackals; land use; questionnaires; rapid methods; risk; surveys; South Africa; Show all 16 Subjects
- ... Accurate assessment of carnivore population status is frequently hindered by insufficient distribution data. For northern South Africa we address this deficit by mapping new records from landscape-scale sign surveys, questionnaire interviews, problem animal records and camera trapping. The black-backed jackal Canis mesomelas and caracal Caracal caracal remain common and widespread. Ranges of the s ...