Jump to Main Content
- Couwenberg, John, et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Palaeogeography, palaeoclimatology, palaeoecology 2015 v.440 pp. 1-21
- Fagopyrum esculentum; Oxygonum; buckwheat; glaciation; pollen; pollen rain; trade; vegetation; weeds; Africa; Eurasia
- ... The widespread perception that buckwheat (Fagopyrum esculentum and F. tataricum) did not occur in western Eurasia prior to the Late Medieval is challenged by numerous pollen finds. We traced some 240 localities from the area with pollen or macrofossils attributed to Fagopyrum in (often much) earlier time-slices. This paper evaluates various explanations for these finds within the context of palaec ...
- Couwenberg, John, et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Palaeogeography, palaeoclimatology, palaeoecology 2015 v.417 pp. 534-543
- Quercus robur; climate; dendrochronology; die-off; drainage; earlywood; ecophysiology; forests; peatlands; population dynamics; soil water; trees; water table; wood
- ... Subfossil bog oak material is an important palaeo-climate and hydrology proxy for the Holocene. A correct interpretation of the subfossil material in terms of growth and population dynamics requires understanding of the underlying processes. The catastrophic rewetting after dyke-failure of a drained peatland forest in NE-Germany provides a unique natural laboratory to calibrate bog oak growth patt ...