Jump to Main Content
- Heins, David C., et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Parasitology 2019 v.146 no.1 pp. 97-104
- Gasterosteus aculeatus; Schistocephalus; body condition; clutch size; eggs; fish; helminths; intermediate hosts; lakes; larvae; life history; prediction; spawning; virulence; Alaska
- ... We performed a long-term natural experiment investigating the impact of the diphyllobotriidean cestode Schistocephalus solidus on the body condition and clutch size (CS) of threespine stickleback Gasterosteus aculeatus, its second intermediate host, and the growth of larval parasites in host fish. We tested the hypothesis that single S. solidus infections were more virulent than multiple infection ...
- Heins, David C., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Parasitology 2019 v.146 no.7 pp. 883-896
- Gasterosteus aculeatus; Schistocephalus; body length; effective population size; evolution; genetic variation; host-parasite relationships; hosts; lakes; microsatellite repeats; parasites; population genetics; population structure; Alaska
- ... Remarkably few attempts have been made to estimate contemporary effective population size (Nₑ) for parasitic species, despite the valuable perspectives it can offer on the tempo and pace of parasite evolution as well as coevolutionary dynamics of host–parasite interactions. In this study, we utilized multi-locus microsatellite data to derive single-sample and temporal estimates of contemporary Nₑ ...
- 30720409 30720409