Jump to Main Content
- Solarczyk, Piotr; Majewska, Anna C.
- Parasitology research 2010 v.106 no.5 pp. 1015-1019
- Canidae; DNA; Giardia lamblia; dogs; feces; genetic heterogeneity; genotype; households; humans; microscopes; parasites; polymerase chain reaction; sequence analysis; surveys; Poland
- ... Giardia duodenalis (syn. G. intestinalis, G. lamblia) is an intestinal protozoan parasite that infects humans and a wide range of mammals that includes dogs. Highly significant genetic heterogeneity has been found within this species, while only genotypes from assemblages A and B have zoonotic potential. Although Giardia infection in dogs has been reported worldwide, there is increasing molecular ...
- Graczyk, Thaddeus K.; Sunderland, Deirdre; Awantang, Grace N.; Mashinski, Yessika; Lucy, Frances E.; Graczyk, Zofi; Chomicz, Lidia; Breysse, Patrick N.
- Parasitology research 2010 v.106 no.5 pp. 1103-1108
- Cryptosporidium parvum; Enterococcus; Giardia lamblia; beaches; children; coliform bacteria; epidemiology; humans; parasites; pathogens; public health; sediments; spores; summer; turbidity; water pollution
- ... During summer months, samples of marine beach water were tested weekly for human waterborne pathogens in association with high and low bather numbers during weekends and weekdays, respectively. The numbers of bathers on weekends were significantly higher than on weekdays (P < 0.001), and this was associated with a significant (P < 0.04) increase in water turbidity. The proportion of water samples ...