Jump to Main Content
- Li, Jinlei; Zhang, Xiang; Hou, Youming; Tang, Baozhen
- Physiological entomology 2014 v.39 no.4 pp. 348-354
- Chrysomelidae; copulation; egg production; eggs; fecundity; females; hatching; insects; longevity; males; mating frequency; oviposition; paternity; pests; population growth; reproductive efficiency; resource allocation
- ... Multiple mating is found in many insect taxa where both of the sexes can mate more than once. For males, this leads to the advantage of increasing their paternity by fertilizing more females. However, there is a trade‐off of resource allocation between reproduction and other life‐history characters. In the present study, the impact of increased mating rate on reproductive fitness of the invasive n ...
- Fedderwitz, Frauke; Björklund, Niklas; Ninkovic, Velemir; Nordlander, Göran
- Physiological entomology 2014 v.39 no.2 pp. 103-110
- Hylobius abietis; Picea abies; adults; egg production; females; forest regeneration; girdling; locomotion; males; plant response; seedlings; Europe
- ... The pine weevil [Hylobius abietis (L.); Coleoptera: Curculionidae] has a high economic impact on forest regeneration in Europe. The general biology of the pine weevil has received considerable attention, although there is insufficient knowledge about its diel behaviour and time budget. Therefore, in the present study, the feeding and locomotion behaviour of individual adult weevils on Norway spruc ...