Jump to Main Content
- Kemp, William P., et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Physiological entomology 2015 v.40 no.2 pp. 103-112
- Megachile rotundata; biological resources; cell cycle; chromatin; diapause; dormancy; gene expression regulation; glycolysis; insect physiology; insects; life cycle (organisms); messenger RNA; microRNA; neurosecretory system; seasonal variation; signal transduction; transcriptomics
- ... Insect diapause (dormancy) synchronizes an insect's life cycle to seasonal changes in the abiotic and biotic resources required for development and reproduction. Transcription analysis of diapause to post‐diapause quiescent transition in the alfalfa leafcutting bee Megachile rotundata Fabricius identifies 643 post‐diapause up‐regulated gene transcripts and 242 post‐diapause down‐regulated transcri ...
- Kemp, William P., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Physiological entomology 2006 v.31 no.2 pp. 110
- Osmia lignaria; solitary bees; nesting; insect nests; nesting sites; smell; marking behavior; chemical composition; free fatty acids; hydrocarbons; wax esters; insect cuticle
- ... The use of olfactory cues for nest recognition by the solitary bee Osmia lignaria is studied in a greenhouse environment. Glass tubes are provided as nesting cavities to allow the in-nest behaviour of bees to be observed. In addition, each glass tube is cut into three sections for experimental manipulation and for subsequent chemical analysis. Nesting females drag their abdomen along the tube befo ...