Jump to Main Content
- Evans, R.D.; Bloom, A.J.; Sukrapanna, S.S.; Ehleringer, J.R.
- Plant, cell and environment 1996 v.19 no.11 pp. 1317-1323
- Solanum lycopersicum var. lycopersicum; nitrates; nutrient availability; nutrient uptake; nitrogen; stable isotopes; nitrogen content; leaves; roots; nitrogen metabolism; isotope fractionation; ion transport; ammonium nitrogen; nitrate nitrogen; ammonium compounds
- ... Studies that quantify plant delta 15N often assume that fractionation during nitrogen uptake and intra-plant variation in delta 15N are minimal. We tested both assumptions by growing tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill. cv. T-5) at NH4+ or NO3(-1) concentrations typical of those found in the soil. Fractionation did not occur with uptake; whole-plant delta 15N was not significantly different from ...
- Atkin, O.K.; Botman, B.; Lambers, H.
- Plant, cell and environment 1996 v.19 no.11 pp. 1324-1330
- Poa alpina; Poa compressa; Poa trivialis; Poa pratensis; Poa; alpine plants; nitrogen content; organic nitrogen compounds; nitrogen metabolism; leaves; stems; roots; habitats; lowlands; organic acids and salts; chemical constituents of plants; species differences
- ... This study investigates the nitrogen economy of six altitudinally contrasting Poa species which differ in their relative growth rate (R). Two alpine (Poa fawcettiae and P. costiniana), one sub-alpine (P. alpina) and three temperate lowland species (P. pratensis, P. compressa and P. trivialis) were grown hydroponically under identical conditions in a growth room. The low R exhibited by the alpine s ...