Jump to Main Content
- Chung, Y. Anny; Thornton, Bradly; Dettweiler-Robinson, Eva; Rudgers, Jennifer A.
- Plant and soil 2019 v.441 no.1-2 pp. 147-159
- arid lands, etc ; anthropogenic activities; biological soil crusts; canopy; carbon; chlorophyll; disturbed soils; ecosystems; grasses; grasslands; photosynthesis; physical properties; shrublands; soil properties; soil stabilization; soil water; sunscreens; Chihuahuan Desert; United States; Show all 19 Subjects
- ... AIMS: Biological soil crusts (biocrusts) dominate soil surfaces in drylands, providing services that include soil stabilization and carbon uptake. In this study, we investigated the direct and biocrust-mediated effects of anthropogenic disturbances in two dryland ecosystems. METHODS: We applied low intensity soil surface disturbance (twice-yearly footfalls) in grassland and shrubland ecosystems in ...
- Huang, Heng; Yu, Kailiang; Fan, Ying; D’Odorico, Paolo
- Plant and soil 2019 v.442 no.1-2 pp. 483-495
- arid lands, etc ; C4 plants; arid grasslands; biomass; carbon dioxide fixation; community structure; ecological footprint; ecological resilience; ecosystems; grasses; greenhouse experimentation; rain; soil water; United States; Show all 14 Subjects
- ... BACKGROUND AND AIMS: The intensity of extreme rainfall events is increasing in many regions of the world, with important impacts on community dynamics and ecosystem functioning especially in water-limited ecosystems. The impact of the intensification of extreme precipitation on mixed communities of CAM plants and dryland C4 grasses remains poorly understood. METHODS: Through a set of greenhouse ex ...