Jump to Main Content
- Qiao, Sheng; Fang, Yan; Wu, Aijiao; Xu, Bingcheng; Zhang, Suiqi; Deng, Xiping; Djalovic, Ivica; Siddique, Kadambot H. M.; Chen, Yinglong
- Plant and soil 2019 v.439 no.1-2 pp. 75-90
- Zea mays; abiotic stress; breeding lines; breeding programs; corn; crop production; cultivars; drought; genetic variation; genotype; hybrids; phenotype; plant breeding; soil; China
- ... BACKGROUND AND AIMS: The production of maize (Zea mays L.) is restricted by various edaphic stresses, including drought and low-fertility soil. Searching for genotypes with optimal root traits is a promising practice when breeding for improved adaptation to abiotic stress and resource-use efficiency. METHODS: Using an established semi-hydroponic phenotyping technique, we assessed root trait variab ...
- Zhao, Zunkang; Gao, Xiaofeng; Ke, Ye; Chang, Minmin; Xie, Lu; Li, Xiaofeng; Gu, Minghua; Liu, Jiping; Tang, Xinlian
- Plant and soil 2019 v.437 no.1-2 pp. 273-289
- aluminum; benzoxazinoids; biosynthesis; chelation; corn; cultivars; exudation; hydroxamic acids; root growth; root tips; salicylic acid
- ... BACKGROUND AND AIMS: Although aluminum (Al) exclusion via root exudation of organic matters is a common resistance mechanism adopted by many plant species, whether root exudation of benzoxazinoids, such as hydroxamic acids (HAs), confers Al resistance remains unclear. METHODS: We performed physiological characterization for an Al-resistant maize cultivar TY and a sensitive maize cultivar ZD. RESUL ...