Jump to Main Content
- Kimbeng, Collins A., et al. Show all 10 Authors
- Plant breeding 2017 v.136 no.5 pp. 637-651
- Puccinia melanocephala; Saccharum; clones; disease resistance; genetic markers; germplasm conservation; hybrids; leaf rust; marker-assisted selection; plant genetic resources; resistance genes; sugarcane
- ... Brown rust, caused by Puccinia melanocephala, is an important disease of sugarcane worldwide. Molecular markers for a major brown rust resistance gene, Bru1, were used to screen a total of 1,282 clones in the World Collection of Sugarcane and Related Grasses (WCSRG) to determine the distribution and frequency of the gene in Saccharum species and related genera. Bru1 was found across all species wi ...
- Kimbeng, Collins A., et al. Show all 8 Authors
- Plant breeding 2014 pp. n/a
- Puccinia melanocephala; clones; cultivars; disease resistance; fungi; genes; germplasm; germplasm evaluation; introgression; pathogens; plant breeding; progeny; rust diseases; screening; sugarcane; Louisiana
- ... Brown rust, caused by the fungus Puccinia melanocephala, poses an increasing threat to sugarcane industries worldwide. Recently, markers R12H16 and 9020-F4 were developed for a major resistance gene Bru1 that contributes to a significant proportion of brown rust resistance in multiple sugarcane industries. Marker-assisted screening of Louisiana sugarcane germplasm showed a low frequency (4.3%, fiv ...