Jump to Main Content
- Poulos, Jesse M.; Rayburn, Andrew P.; Schupp, Eugene W.
- Plant ecology 2014 v.215 no.4 pp. 417-426
- nurse plants, etc ; Artemisia tridentata; Penstemon; additive effect; forbs; grasses; plant communities; plant establishment; seedlings; shrubs; understory; United States; Show all 12 Subjects
- ... There is increasing recognition that both competition and facilitation are important drivers of plant community dynamics in arid and semi-arid environments. Decades of research have provided a litany of examples of the potential for shrubs as nurse plants for establishment of desirable species, especially in water-limited environments. However, interactions with the existing understory community m ...
- Adie, Hylton; Yeaton, Richard I.
- Plant ecology 2014 v.215 no.5 pp. 507-515
- nurse plants, etc ; Maytenus; Messor; Portulacaria; ant nests; community structure; harvesting; nesting; nesting sites; plant communities; seeds; shrubs; soil nutrients; trees; vegetation; vertebrates; South Africa; Show all 17 Subjects
- ... The influence of animal-mediated processes on the purported cyclical succession model of vegetation dynamics in arid subtropical thicket of southern South Africa was examined. We used spatially explicit sampling methods to evaluate the influence of dispersal and decomposition on plant community structure. The harvester ant Messor capensis was the only ant species recorded harvesting Portulacaria a ...