Jump to Main Content
- Campo, J.L.; Prieto, M.T.
- Poultry science 2009 v.88 no.4 pp. 708-713
- animal well-being, etc ; water content; laying hens; litter (bedding); poultry housing; animal health; heterophils; lymphocytes; environmental enrichment; poultry manure; chicken breeds; feet; fearfulness; length; Show all 14 Subjects
- ... The purpose of this study was to analyze the effects of moist litter, perches, and droppings pit on the fluctuating asymmetry, the tonic immobility duration, and the heterophil:lymphocyte ratio of laying hens. In experiment 1, hens from 4 Spanish breeds and a White Leghorn population, that had been housed in moist or dry litter pens from 20 wk of age, were used. Treatment effect was significant fo ...
- Tactacan, G.B.; Guenter, W.; Lewis, N.J.; Rodriguez-Lecompte, J.C.; House, J.D.
- Poultry science 2009 v.88 no.4 pp. 698-707
- animal well-being, etc ; laying hens; egg production; environmental enrichment; battery cages; battery husbandry; animal behavior; egg quality; animal health; bone density; feathers; immune response; feed intake; egg weight; mortality; specific gravity; physical activity; Show all 17 Subjects
- ... Concerns regarding the welfare of laying hens raised in battery cages have led to the development of enriched cages that allow hens to perform natural behaviors including nesting, roosting, and scratching. This study was conducted to compare indices of production and welfare in birds housed in 2 different caging systems. Shaver White hens were housed from 21 to 61 wk in either conventional battery ...