Jump to Main Content
- Morgan, A. E.; Mooney, K. M.; Wilkinson, S. J.; Pickles, N. A.; Mc Auley, M. T.
- Proceedings of the Nutrition Society 2017 v.76 no.3 pp. 378-391
- cholesterol metabolism; diet; drugs; females; hospitals; hypercholesterolemia; low density lipoprotein cholesterol; males; pathogenesis; systems biology; therapeutics; United Kingdom
- ... CVD accounted for 27 % of all deaths in the UK in 2014, and was responsible for 1·7 million hospital admissions in 2013/2014. This condition becomes increasingly prevalent with age, affecting 34·1 and 29·8 % of males and females over 75 years of age respectively in 2011. The dysregulation of cholesterol metabolism with age, often observed as a rise in LDL-cholesterol, has been associated with the ...
- Staudacher, Heidi M.; Irving, Peter M.; Lomer, Miranda C. E.; Whelan, Kevin
- Proceedings of the Nutrition Society 2017 v.76 no.3 pp. 203-212
- clinical trials; diet; disease control; drugs; nutrient intake; nutritional intervention; placebos
- ... High-quality placebo-controlled evidence for food, nutrient or dietary advice interventions is vital for verifying the role of diet in optimising health or for the management of disease. This could be argued to be especially important where the benefits of dietary intervention are coupled with potential risks such as compromising nutrient intake, particularly in the case of exclusion diets. The ob ...