Jump to Main Content
- GREATHEAD, D. J.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London 1962 v.139 no.1 pp. 139-180
- Chalcididae; Schistocerca gregaria; Staphylinidae; adults; alternative foods; birds; eggs; females; hatching; hosts; larvae; life history; locusts; morphometry; mortality; oviposition; pollen; predation; pupae; smell; soil; sugars; swarms; topography; vegetation; Eastern Africa
- ... Stomorhina lunata has long been recognized as an important egg‐predator of locusts in many parts of Africa, but there has been little work on its biology or its importance in the natural control of locusts. Field work on S. lunata as an egg‐predator of the Desert Locust, Schistocerca gregaria Forskål (Orthoptera: Acrididae), was carried out in eastern Africa. The life history, from oviposition to ...
- CHAPMAN, R. F.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London 1962 v.139 no.1 pp. 1-66
- Diptera; Pyrgomorphidae; adults; birds; breeding; climate; cultivation area; diapause; dry season; evergreen forests; fauna; forbs; grasses; grasshoppers; grasslands; larvae; nymphs; parasitism; predation; reptiles; savannas; wet season; Ghana; Sudan
- ... From 1957 to 1959 collections of grasshoppers were made in various parts of Ghana where the vegetation shows considerable variation from the evergreen forest of the south‐west to the Sudan savanna of the north‐west and north‐east. Collections were made at intervals throughout the year in as many different localities as possible and as a result of these and earlier collections 196 species in 113 ge ...