Jump to Main Content
- Bamford, Marion K., et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Quaternary international 2018 v.464 pp. 440-459
- Anacardiaceae; Asteraceae; Celastraceae; Cyperaceae; Ericaceae; Leucadendron; Restionaceae; Vitaceae; charcoal; culms; fynbos; grasses; humans; leaves; morphs; paleoecology; phytoliths; rivers; seeds; shrubs; silica; soil; soil sampling; tissues; South Africa
- ... The archaeological site of Klasies River is famous for the richness of its Middle Stone Age deposits, which offer the opportunity to document behaviors of early modern humans in Africa, as well as the paleoenvironmental context of their occupation of the area during the late Pleistocene. The Main Site deposits (dated to ca. 115 to 55 ka) include botanical remains such as seeds and charcoal, which ...
- Bamford, Marion K., et al. Show all 2 Author
- Quaternary international 2017 v.457 pp. 155-171
- Brachylaena; Tarchonanthus camphoratus; burning; camphor; charcoal; essential oils; insect repellents; insecticidal properties; leaves; medicine; seeds; shrubs; smoke; trees; wood; wood anatomy; woodlands; South Africa
- ... Sibudu rockshelter, an archaeological site in KwaZulu-Natal, has evidence of the local vegetation, environment and wood use during the Middle Stone Age, from well-preserved seeds and charcoal, approximately 77–38 000 years ago. In order to confidently identify some charcoal taxa, closely related species were studied in detail. Modern wood was charred and examined under the light microscope and a c ...