Jump to Main Content
- Bailey, Richard M., et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Quaternary research 2011 v.76 no.1 pp. 93-105
- dunes; isotopes; oxygen; sea level; sediments; United Arab Emirates
- ... The northeastern sector of the Rub' al-Khali desert in the eastern United Arab Emirates (UAE) is dominated by large NE–SW trending dune ridges orientated perpendicular to the currently prevailing northwesterly wind regime. In this study, extensive use has been made of artificially exposed sections through these major dune ridges that reveal internal sedimentary structures and allow an intensive, h ...
- Bailey, Richard M., et al. Show all 8 Authors
- Quaternary research 2012 v.77 no.2 pp. 215-220
- airports; coasts; engineering; glaciation; islands; nuclear power; power plants; sea level; subsidence; terraces; Persian Gulf; Saudi Arabia; United Arab Emirates
- ... The coastline along the southern Arabian Gulf between Al Jubail, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and Dubai, UAE, appears to have risen at least 125m in the last 18,000years. Dating and topographic surveying of paleo-dunes (43–53ka), paleo-marine terraces (17–30ka), and paleo-marine shorelines (3.3–5.5ka) document a rapid, >1mm/a subsidence, followed by a 6mm/a uplift that is decreasing with time. The mec ...