Jump to Main Content
- Wyffels, Samuel A.; Petersen, Mark K.; Boss, Darrin L.; Sowell, Bok F.; Bowman, Janice G.P.; McNew, Lance B.
- Rangeland ecology & management 2019
- perennials, etc ; biomass; cakes; calves; collars; crude protein; forage; forbs; global positioning systems; grasses; grazing; heifers; pastures; population characteristics; protein supplements; reproductive performance; shrubs; vegetation; winter; Show all 19 Subjects
- ... Grazing dormant forage under low-input heifer development strategies typically exposes cattle to low-quality forage. Protein supplementation while grazing dormant range can enhance heifer growth and reproductive performance. We examined resource utilization of heifers and the effects of dormant season grazing on residual vegetation characteristics under two supplementation management strategies. A ...
- Bates, Jonathan D.; Davies, Kirk W.; Bournoville, Justin; Boyd, Chad; O’Connor, Rory; Svejcar, Tony J.
- Rangeland ecology & management 2019 v.72 no.1 pp. 28-35
- perennials, etc ; Artemisia tridentata; Bromus tectorum; Juniperus occidentalis; annuals; basins; biomass; forage; forbs; habitats; indigenous species; livestock; plant communities; prescribed burning; steppes; ungulates; wildlife; woodlands; Wyoming; Show all 19 Subjects
- ... Western juniper (Juniperus occidentalis Hook.) has expanded into sagebrush steppe plant communities the past 130−150 yr in the northern Great Basin. The increase in juniper reduces herbage and browse for livestock and big game. Information on herbaceous yield response to juniper control with fire is limited. We measured herbaceous standing crop and yield by life form in two mountain big sagebrush ...