Jump to Main Content
- Vermeire, Lance T.; Strong, Dustin J.; Waterman, Richard C.
- Rangeland ecology & management 2018 v.71 no.6 pp. 770-775
- C3 plants, etc ; C4 plants; biomass; conservation practices; forbs; grasses; grazing intensity; rangelands; Show all 8 Subjects
- ... Exclusion of large grazers from rangelands that evolved with significant grazing pressure can alter natural processes and may have legacy effects by changing magnitude or direction of community responses to subsequent disturbance. Three moderately grazed pastures were paired with 12-ha areas with 15 yr of livestock exclusion. Six treatments were assigned to each in a 2 x 3 factorial arrangement of ...
- Vermeire, L.T.; Russell, M.L.
- Rangeland ecology & management 2018 v.71 no.6 pp. 714-720
- C3 plants, etc ; Artemisia; Bromus japonicus; Hesperostipa comata; Poa secunda; Vulpia; aboveground biomass; arid lands; autumn; ecosystems; fires; forbs; grasses; grasslands; grazing; growing season; indigenous species; introduced plants; plant communities; species diversity; spring; summer; Show all 22 Subjects
- ... Fire plays a central role in influencing ecosystem patterns and processes. However, documentation of fire seasonality and plant community response is limited in semiarid grasslands. We evaluated aboveground biomass, cover, and frequency response to summer, fall, and spring fires and no fire on silty and clayey sites in semiarid, C3-dominated grassland. The magnitude of change in biomass between ye ...