Jump to Main Content
Did you mean to type: lange?
- Vermeire, Lance T., et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Rangeland ecology & management 2013 v.66 no.5 pp. 553-560
- Aristida purpurea; biomass; fire season; forage quality; grasses; growing season; indigenous species; nitrogen; nontarget organisms; plant response; prescribed burning; rangelands; spring; summer; varieties; weather; Great Plains region; Intermountain West region; Montana
- ... Purple threeawn (Aristida purpurea Nutt. varieties) is a native grass capable of increasing on rangelands, forming near monocultures, and creating a stable state. Productive rangelands throughout the Great Plains and Intermountain West have experienced increases in purple threeawn abundance, reducing overall forage quality. Our objectives were to 1) reveal the effects of prescribed fire and nitrog ...
- Vermeire, Lance T., et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Rangeland ecology & management 2013 v.66 no.4 pp. 438-444
- Agricultural Research Service; beef; beef cattle; business enterprises; decision support systems; grasslands; grazing; meat production; plant communities; ranchers; rangelands; risk; spring; steers; stocking rate; summer; temperature; weather; weight gain; winter; yearlings
- ... Cattle weight gain responses to seasonal weather variability are difficult to predict for rangelands because few long-term (>20 yr) studies have been conducted. However, an increased understanding of temperature and precipitation influences on cattle weight gains is needed to optimize stocking rates and reduce enterprise risk associated with climatic variability. Yearling steer weight gain data co ...