Jump to Main Content
- Bestelmeyer, Brandon T., et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Rangeland ecology & management 2006 v.59 no.4 pp. 406
- grasslands; arid zones; soil aggregates; soil slaking; environmental degradation; habitat fragmentation; soil pH; wetting front; rain; storms; spatial variation; rangelands; soil quality; simulation models; New Mexico
- ... Soil aggregate stability (AS) has been promoted as a primary indicator of soil-surface function and a key metric in state-and-transition models. There are few studies, however, that relate indices of AS to the process of grassland degradation. In a Chihuahuan Desert rangeland, we measured variation in AS across vegetated-bare patch boundaries within six plot types reflecting a hypothesized fragmen ...
- Bestelmeyer, Brandon T., et al. Show all 9 Authors
- Rangeland ecology & management 2009 v.62 no.1 pp. 1
- rangelands; landscapes; spatial variation; simulation models; plant communities; vegetation; environmental monitoring; environmental assessment; quantitative analysis; land classification; land management; grasslands; shrublands; savannas; forests; ecosystems
- ... Interpretation of assessment and monitoring data requires information about how reference conditions and ecological resilience vary in space and time. Reference conditions used as benchmarks are often specified via potential-based land classifications (e.g., ecological sites) that describe the plant communities potentially observed in an area based on soil and climate. State-and-transition models ...