Jump to Main Content
Did you mean to type: lange?
- Vermeire, Lance T., et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Rangeland ecology & management 2014 v.67 no.1 pp. 52-60
- Pascopyrum smithii; aboveground biomass; forage; forbs; grasses; grazing; growing season; livestock; plant communities; plant response; primary productivity; rangelands; risk; species diversity; spring; summer; weather; wildfires
- ... Most wildfires occur during summer in the northern hemisphere, the area burned annually is increasing, and fire effects during this season are least understood. Understanding plant response to grazing following summer fire is required to reduce ecological and financial risks associated with wildfire. Forty 0.75-ha plots were assigned to summer fire then 0, 17, 34 or 50% biomass removal by grazing ...
- Vermeire, Lance T., et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Rangeland ecology & management 2013 v.66 no.4 pp. 438-444
- Agricultural Research Service; beef; beef cattle; business enterprises; decision support systems; grasslands; grazing; meat production; plant communities; ranchers; rangelands; risk; spring; steers; stocking rate; summer; temperature; weather; weight gain; winter; yearlings
- ... Cattle weight gain responses to seasonal weather variability are difficult to predict for rangelands because few long-term (>20 yr) studies have been conducted. However, an increased understanding of temperature and precipitation influences on cattle weight gains is needed to optimize stocking rates and reduce enterprise risk associated with climatic variability. Yearling steer weight gain data co ...