Jump to Main Content
Did you mean to type: lange?
- Vermeire, Lance T., et al. Show all 2 Author
- Rangeland ecology & management 2011 v.64 no.1 pp. 18
- pastures; rangelands; prescribed burning; ewes; liveweight gain; grazing; grazing management; stocking rate; summer; spring
- ... Complete rest or grazing deferment is a general recommendation to encourage vegetative recovery following fire in the western United States. However, effects of grazing deferments on animal performance have not been determined. Prescribed fires were individually applied to nine separate, 1.5-ha pastures each year (2006 and 2007) for a total of 18 pastures. Grazing was deferred until spring (16 May ...
- Vermeire, Lance T., et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Rangeland ecology & management 2013 v.66 no.4 pp. 438-444
- Agricultural Research Service; beef; beef cattle; business enterprises; decision support systems; grasslands; grazing; meat production; plant communities; ranchers; rangelands; risk; spring; steers; stocking rate; summer; temperature; weather; weight gain; winter; yearlings
- ... Cattle weight gain responses to seasonal weather variability are difficult to predict for rangelands because few long-term (>20 yr) studies have been conducted. However, an increased understanding of temperature and precipitation influences on cattle weight gains is needed to optimize stocking rates and reduce enterprise risk associated with climatic variability. Yearling steer weight gain data co ...