Jump to Main Content
- Dirnböck, Thomas; Haase, Peter; Mirtl, Michael; Pauw, Johan; Templer, Pamela H.
- Regional environmental change 2019 v.19 no.2 pp. 309-311
- United Nations; biodiversity; caves; ecosystems; habitats; infrastructure; lakes; national parks; sustainable development; Austria; England; Germany; South Africa; United States
- ... Long-term ecological research (LTER) has a strong foundation in the fields of biogeosciences and ecosystem research with infrastructures established in the nineteenth (e.g., 1891—Plön, Germany; 1840—Rothamsted, England) and twentieth centuries (e.g., 1906—Lunz, Austria; 1925—Trout Lake Station, WI, USA; 1955—Hubbard Brook, NH, USA; 1960—Solling, Germany). Over time, it has been repeatedly shown th ...
- Swemmer, Anthony Michael; Mashele, Mightyman; Ndhlovu, Patrick Dlondack
- Regional environmental change 2019 v.19 no.2 pp. 403-413
- adults; biomass; coppicing; ecosystems; energy; environmental sustainability; fuelwood; harvesting; plant density; rural areas; savannas; social factors; stems; villages; South Africa
- ... While the fuelwood crises predicted in the 1980s have not materialized, the potential for fuelwood demand to exceed supply remains for many rural areas, particularly in Africa where fuelwood is the primary source of domestic energy. The sustainability of fuelwood harvesting from a semi-arid savanna ecosystem was investigated at a rural village where shortages have been predicted. Repeated sampling ...