Jump to Main Content
- Brodribb, Tim J.; McAdam, Scott A.M.
- Science 2011 v.331 no.6017 pp. 582-585
- stomatal movement; turgor; vascular plants; water flow; carbon; ferns and fern allies; abscisic acid; photosynthesis; Spermatophytina; stomata
- ... Carbon and water flow between plants and the atmosphere is regulated by the opening and closing of minute stomatal pores in surfaces of leaves. By changing the aperture of stomata, plants regulate water loss and photosynthetic carbon gain in response to many environmental stimuli, but stomatal movements cannot yet be reliably predicted. We found that the complexity that characterizes stomatal cont ...
- Lewis, Simon L.; Brando, Paulo M.; Phillips, Oliver L.; van der Heijden, Geertje M.F.; Nepstad, Daniel
- Science 2011 v.331 no.6017 pp. 554
- biomass; carbon; confidence interval; drought; dry season; drying; emissions; forests; meteorological data; rain; statistical analysis; tree mortality; Amazonia
- ... In 2010, dry-season rainfall was low across Amazonia, with apparent similarities to the major 2005 drought. We analyzed a decade of satellite-derived rainfall data to compare both events. Standardized anomalies of dry-season rainfall showed that 57% of Amazonia had low rainfall in 2010 as compared with 37% in 2005 ([less-than or equal to]-1 standard deviation from long-term mean). By using relatio ...