Jump to Main Content
- Shibata, N.; Chisholm, M.F.; Nakamura, A.; Pennycook, S.J.; Yamamoto, T.; Ikuhara, Y.
- Science 2007 v.316 no.5821 pp. 82-85
- aluminum; aluminum oxide; cations; mechanical properties; oxygen
- ... Little is known about dislocation core structures in oxides, despite their central importance in controlling electrical, optical, and mechanical properties. It has often been assumed, on the basis of charge considerations, that a nonstoichiometric core structure could not exist. We report atomic-resolution images that directly resolve the cation and anion sublattices in alumina (α-Al₂O₃). A dissoc ...
- Shim, Seung-Bo; Imboden, Matthias; Mohanty, Pritiraj
- Science 2007 v.316 no.5821 pp. 95-99
- mechanical properties; microwave radiation; nanotechnology
- ... We report measurements of synchronization in two nanomechanical beam oscillators coupled by a mechanical element. We charted multiple regions of frequency entrainment or synchronization by their corresponding Arnold's tongue diagrams as the oscillator was driven at subharmonic and rational commensurate frequencies. Demonstration of multiple synchronized regions could be fundamentally important to ...