Jump to Main Content
- Zhu, Zhiwei; Cai, Yongqiang; Li, Yuan; Li, Huifeng; Zhang, Lihuan; Xu, Dongmei; Yu, Xiuju; Li, Pengfei; Lv, Lihua
- Small ruminant research 2019 v.177 pp. 44-49
- alpacas, etc ; color; gene expression; genes; melanin; melanocytes; messenger RNA; microRNA; monophenol monooxygenase; nucleotide sequences; pigmentation; transcription factors; Show all 12 Subjects
- ... microRNAs (miRNAs) are well established as post-transcriptional regulators of gene expression, and function by binding regulatory regions, such as the 3′ untranslated region (UTR) of their target mRNA sequences. They have been implicated in the regulation of pigmentation, including the determination of alpaca hair-fiber color; however, the mechanisms underlying their effects are not yet well under ...
- Peng, Shawn; Fu, Eric; Lee, Sandy; Tsai, Stefan
- Small ruminant research 2019 v.175 pp. 90-95
- alpacas, etc ; Vicugna pacos; animal welfare; cooling; death; fever; heat stress; humid zones; mists; mortality; spraying; sprinklers; summer; surveys; zoos; Taiwan; Show all 16 Subjects
- ... Despite their ability to adapt to a variety of environments, alpacas suffer from heat stress symptoms when raised in warm and humid regions of the world. Hyperthermia in alpacas not only raises animal welfare concerns, but also decreases productivity. To better understand the relationship between heat stress and alpaca mortality, Taiwanese alpaca facilities were surveyed. Additionally, to address ...