Jump to Main Content
- Robinson, T.F.; Sponheimer, M.; Roeder, B.L.; Passey, B.; Cerling, T.E.; Dearing, M.D.; Ehleringer, J.R.
- Small ruminant research 2006 v.64 no.1-2 pp. 162-168
- llamas; goats; animal feeding; alfalfa; digestibility; nitrogen; nutrient retention; C3 plants; forage grasses; hay; C4 plants; urine; feces; excretion; dry matter intake; body weight; nitrogen balance
- ... The objective of this experiment was to determine the relative digestive capabilities and N retention between goats and llamas fed three forages. Four llamas (2 yrs; 125 ± 7.3 kg BW) and four Boer-cross goats (2 yrs; 53 ± 8.4 kg BW) were housed in metabolism crates and fed alfalfa (Medicago sativa; ALF), temperate C3 grass (Festuca arundinacea; C3G) and tropical C4 grass (Cynodon dactylon; C4G) ha ...
- José Diógenes Pereira Neto; José Carlos Batista Dubeux; Francisco Fernando Ramos de Carvalho; Mércia Virginia Ferreira dos Santos; Martin Ruiz-Moreno; Erick Rodrigo da Silva Santos
- Small ruminant research 2019 v.175 pp. 7-14
- C3 plants; C4 plants; Cynodon; Medicago sativa; alfalfa; alfalfa hay; body weight; diet; digestibility; feces; grasses; grazing trials; lambs; males; models; neutral detergent fiber; ovens; rectum; stable isotopes
- ... Stable isotopes can be an important research tool to track C and N in grazing experiments. This study tested different proportions of C4 grass and legume and the correlation between dietary δ13C with fecal δ13C. Forty lambs, male, with average body weight of 20.4 kg, were randomized in a complete block design and fed Tifton-85 (Cynodon spp.) and Alfalfa (Medicago sativa) hays, at different levels ...