Jump to Main Content
- Kukkola, Mikko, et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Soil biology & biochemistry 2015 v.82 pp. 74-80
- Picea abies; Pinus sylvestris; acid phosphatase; beta-glucosidase; bioenergy; boreal forests; branches; enzyme activity; field experimentation; forest soils; humus; logging; microbial biomass; mineralization; proteinases; soil enzymes; soil respiration; soil sampling; trees; Finland
- ... Nowadays conventional stem-only harvest where logging residues are left on the site is often displaced by whole-tree harvest, in which logging residues are harvested for use as bioenergy. Logging residues consist of tree branches and tops of stems with needles. The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of logging residue harvest on soil enzyme activities involved in C, N and P cycling, name ...
- Kukkola, Mikko, et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Soil biology & biochemistry 2013 v.66 pp. 51-59
- proanthocyanidins; trees; carbon; diterpenoids; field experimentation; carbon dioxide; correlation; soil air; triterpenoids; organic soils; harvesting; mineralization; tree crown; Pinus sylvestris; branches; humus; logging; monoterpenoids; microbial biomass; Finland
- ... The aim of this study was to determine how logging residues, consisting of tree tops and branches with needles, affect soil microbial processes in C and N cycling in Scots pine stands, and how these processes are related to the composition of terpenes and phenolic compounds, two major groups of plant secondary compounds. Samples were taken from the humus layer (Ofh) of three field experiments in F ...