Jump to Main Content
- Lin, Yuan-Chien; Chang, Tsang-Jung; Lu, Mong-Ming; Yu, Hwa-Lung
- Stochastic environmental research and risk assessment 2015 v.29 no.7 pp. 1857-1866
- climate; climate change; disasters; hurricanes; hydrologic models; landslides; linear models; rain; sea level; summer; surface water temperature; typhoons; wind speed; Pacific Ocean; Taiwan
- ... Tropical cyclones are one of the most serious natural disasters in northwestern Pacific Ocean. In general, an average of three to four typhoons invades the vicinity of Taiwan annually, which brings heavy rainfalls and strong winds resulting in disasters including flooding, mudflows, and landslides, leading to severe damage to economies and casualties. Studies show that different tracks of typhoon ...
- Erhardt, R. J.; Band, L. E.; Smith, R. L.; Lopes, B. J.
- Stochastic environmental research and risk assessment 2015 v.29 no.7 pp. 1835-1849
- algorithms; atmospheric precipitation; climate; climate models; hydrologic models; temperature; North Carolina
- ... We present a detailed downscaling simulation methodology for generating precipitation events, conditioned on external climate covariates, on a network of meteorological stations. These events can be input to hydrological models. To simulate an event on a future day t, the method uses the K-nearest neighbor algorithm to identify close neighbors from the historical record, and resamples a past event ...