Jump to Main Content
- Akey, D.H.; Burns, D.W.
- Supplement to the Southwestern entomologist 1991 v.14 pp. 25
- X-ray fluorescence spectroscopy; absorption; arthropods; atomic absorption spectrometry; digestion; emissions; ionization; lasers; mass spectrometry; neutron activation analysis; plants; sampling
- ... Available analytic methods for elemental determinations of biological samples are reviewed and discussed. Preparation of samples (including wet digestions and dry ashing techniques), analytical standards, and analytical blanks are considered. Current practices of elemental marking techniques and of the use of inherent elemental composition as a marker in itself are presented. Specifically, atomic ...
- Akey, D.H.
- Supplement to the Southwestern entomologist 1991 v.14 pp. 1
- animal identification; arthropods; dyes; hosts; longevity; parasites; population density; radionuclides; species dispersal
- ... Ecological studies often investigate questions regarding population dispersal, density, and longevity by using a capture-mark-release-recapture method or some variation of it. Marking has been an integral part of such studies and can be divided into six categories: coding, dyes, dusts, radioisotopes, genetic, and elemental enrichment. Elemental composition can also be included in a broad definitio ...