Jump to Main Content
- Seinen, Willem; Feil, Herman
- Sustainable chemistry and pharmacy 2019 v.12 pp. 100133
- alkaline phosphatase; anti-inflammatory agents; antibiotics; arthritis; green chemistry; medicine; piglets; surgery
- ... Alkaline phosphatase (AP), a non-toxic natural compound (enzyme) has a great potential to replace or avoid the use of various drugs, in particular anti-inflammatory drugs (e.g. used during surgery and to reduce arthritis) and antibiotics applied to farm animals, which both have serious negative effects on the environment. Promising studies are being performed to demonstrate the possibility to avoi ...
- Oldenkamp, Rik
- Sustainable chemistry and pharmacy 2019 v.12 pp. 100128
- antibiotics; crops; drugs; environmental exposure; food contamination; geographical variation; infants; ingestion; models; monitoring; risk; surface water; water pollution; Spain
- ... Nowadays, many pharmaceuticals are detected in surface waters around the world. Because of the extent of the issue, monitoring alone cannot provide a complete overview of the situation. To guide smart monitoring efforts and optimal mitigation measures, spatially explicit models can be used. We show that geographical variability leads to substantial differences in environmental exposure to pharmace ...