Jump to Main Content
- Bullock, Austin L.; Schreiber, Walter T.; Guthrie, John D.
- Textile research journal 1956 v.26 no.5 pp. 340-341
- anhydrides; cellulose; chemical analysis; cotton; decanoic acid; esterification; fabrics; hydrolysis; neutralization; presoaking; pyridines; solvents; textile fibers
- ... Although cellulose caprates have been made previously, the processes used degraded the cellulose to some extent since the objective was to make products that would be soluble in organic solvents. This paper describes a method of preparing, possibly for the first time, a partial capric ester of cotton cellulose in fabric form, employing conditions that do not degrade the cellulose significantly. Th ...
- Sherrill, J.C.
- Textile research journal 1956 v.26 no.5 pp. 342-350
- antibacterial properties; fabrics; field experimentation; laundry; textile fibers
- ... Several methods for assessing the extent of bacteriostasis possessed by a treated textile fabric are extant but none is highly objective. The method described in this paper is offered for its relatively high degree of precision and its similarity to the natural function which it is designed to evaluate. Details of the method, of reagent chemical types, and of the effects of concentration of reagen ...