Jump to Main Content
- Davies, Kirk W.; Gearhart, Amanda; Boyd, Chad S.; Bates, Jon D.
- The International journal of wildland fire 2017 v.26 no.6 pp. 485-490
- autumn; ecosystems; fuels (fire ecology); grazing; grazing management; plant growth; probability; shrubs; spring; steppes; wildfires; Oregon
- ... The interaction between grazing and fire influences ecosystems around the world. However, little is known about the influence of grazing on fire, in particular ignition and initial spread and how it varies by grazing management differences. We investigated effects of fall (autumn) grazing, spring grazing and not grazing on fuel characteristics, fire ignition and initial spread during the wildfire ...
- Bentley, P. D.; Penman, T. D.
- The International journal of wildland fire 2017 v.26 no.6 pp. 455-468
- Phascolarctos cinereus; ecological value; ecosystems; endangered species; fire behavior; fuels (fire ecology); habitats; human settlements; land management; landscapes; people; risk; wildfires; Australia
- ... Wildfires are a natural disturbance in many ecosystems, creating challenges for land management agencies who need to simultaneously reduce risk to people and maintain ecological values. Here we use the PHOENIX RapidFire fire behaviour simulator to compare fuel treatment strategies that meet the twin objectives of reducing wildfire risk to human settlements and a fire sensitive endangered species, ...