Jump to Main Content
- Ozella, L.; Cecchetti, M.; Pessani, D.
- The Italian journal of zoology 2016 v.83 no.4 pp. 589-599
- Calonectris diomedea; biomass; breeding; breeding season; cats; diet; ecosystems; feces; feral animals; introduced species; invasive species; islands; nests; planning; predators; rabbits; rats; seabirds; seasonal variation; spring; vocalization; Italy
- ... Feral cats (Felis catus) are considered to be one of main successful invasive species of island ecosystems. The introduced cats often negatively affect seabird populations due to the lack of anti-predatory strategies resulting from the absence of mammalian terrestrial predators during their evolutionary development. Linosa Island hosts the second largest colony of Scopoli’s shearwater (Calonectris ...
- Agostini, N.; Gustin, M.; Panuccio, M.
- The Italian journal of zoology 2016 v.83 no.4 pp. 543-548
- Accipitridae; autumn; birds of prey; breeding; coasts; eagles; flight; flocks; migratory behavior; migratory birds; surface water; wind; Italy; Sicily
- ... We investigated the directions of migration (reversed vs. expected) of raptors approaching a geographical strait in relation to local wind conditions, time of day, flock size and location of the observation post (coastal zone vs. inland zone). Fieldwork was conducted during autumn migration in 2011, 2012 and 2013 at a migratory bottleneck located in the southernmost part of the Italian Peninsula ( ...