Jump to Main Content
- Estell, Rick E., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- The Rangeland journal 2014 v.36 no.3 pp. 205
- animal behavior; ecosystems; electrical treatment; feeding level; fences; free range husbandry; geographic information systems; global positioning systems; herbivores; herding; labor; livestock; livestock production; microorganisms; plant tissues; vegetation
- ... Free-ranging livestock play a pivotal role globally in the conversion of plant tissue into products and services that support man’s many and changing lifestyles. With domestication came the task of providing livestock with an adequate plane of nutrition while simultaneously managing vegetation for sustainable production. Attempting to meld these two seemingly opposing management goals continues to ...
- Estell, Rick E., et al. Show all 9 Authors
- The Rangeland journal 2012 v.34 pp. 149
- beef cows; calves; equipment; foraging; global positioning systems; landscape management; rangelands; temporal variation; walking; weaning
- ... Electronic tracking provides a unique way to document behaviour by cows on a continuous basis. Over 2 years 17 beef cows with calves were fitted with global positioning system (GPS) devices programmed to record uncorrected GPS locations at 1-s intervals in a semi-desert rangeland. Each cow was periodically observed during daylight hours and foraging, walking and stationary (standing/lying) activit ...