Jump to Main Content
- Martinez-Escobar, Daniel F.; Mallela, Jennie
- The Science of the total environment 2019 v.692 pp. 1257-1266
- case studies; coral reefs; corals; dryers; ecosystems; environmental impact; hydrologic models; mining; phosphates; pollution load; runoff; sediment contamination; sediment yield; sediments; watersheds
- ... Phosphate mining activities on Christmas Island began in the late 1800's providing a unique, long-term case study in which to assess the impacts of mining on coral reef development. Watershed modelling was used to identify potential “hotspots” of mining runoff on to adjacent reefs. Pollution hotspots were also confirmed by analysis of reef sediment. Phosphate rich mining runoff flowed from local w ...
- Torrent, Xavier; Gregorio, Eduard; Douzals, Jean-Paul; Tinet, Cyril; Rosell-Polo, Joan R.; Planas, Santiago
- The Science of the total environment 2019 v.692 pp. 1322-1333
- crops; guidelines; models; nozzles; pesticides; pollution; spray drift; spraying; trees; wind tunnels
- ... Spray drift is one of the main pollution sources identified when pesticides are sprayed on crops. In this work, in order to simplify the evaluation of hollow-cone nozzles according to their drift potential reduction, several models commonly used were tested by three indirect methods: phase Doppler particle analyser (PDPA) and two different wind tunnels. The main aim of this study is then to classi ...