Jump to Main Content
- Speldewinde, P.C.; Slaney, D.; Weinstein, P.
- The Science of the total environment 2015 v.502 pp. 276-279
- ecological restoration, etc ; ecosystems; human health; uncertainty; Show all 4 Subjects
- ... It is well known that the degradation of ecosystems can have serious impacts on human health. There is currently a knowledge gap on what impact restoring ecosystems has on human health. In restoring ecosystems there is a drive to restore the functionality of ecosystems rather than restoring ecosystems to ‘pristine’ condition. Even so, the complete restoration of all ecosystem functions is not nece ...
- Kareksela, Santtu; Haapalehto, Tuomas; Juutinen, Riikka; Matilainen, Rose; Tahvanainen, Teemu; Kotiaho, Janne S.
- The Science of the total environment 2015 v.537 pp. 268-276
- ecological restoration, etc ; botanical composition; carbon; carbon sequestration; drainage; ecological function; economic valuation; ecosystem services; ecosystems; long term effects; peatlands; plant communities; Finland; Show all 13 Subjects
- ... Degradation of ecosystems is a great concern on the maintenance of biodiversity and ecosystem services. Ecological restoration fights degradation aiming at the recovery of ecosystem functions such as carbon (C) sequestration and ecosystem structures like plant communities responsible for the C sequestration function. We selected 38 pristine, drained and restored boreal peatland sites in Finland an ...