Jump to Main Content
- Guarino, Marcella, et al. Show all 3 Authors
- The Science of the total environment 2019 v.650 pp. 2751-2760
- air; ammonia; animal production; antibiotics; engineering; environmental impact; farms; greenhouse gases; heavy metals; livestock; livestock farming; models; nitrates; phosphorus; pollution; precision agriculture; soil; surface water
- ... This paper reviews the environmental impact of current livestock practices and discusses the advantages offered by Precision Livestock Farming (PLF), as a potential strategy to mitigate environmental risks.PLF is defined as: “the application of process engineering principles and techniques to livestock farming to automatically monitor, model and manage animal production”. The primary goal of PLF i ...
- Guarino, Marcella, et al. Show all 4 Authors
- The Science of the total environment 2018 v.625 pp. 209-219
- ammonia; barns; climate change; dairy farming; environmental impact; equations; global warming potential; greenhouse gas emissions; inventories; life cycle assessment; manure handling; milk production; uncertainty
- ... Measuring emissions from manure management operations (from the barns to the land) is a challenging task, subject to different uncertainties related to the spatial-temporal variability in the process leading to gaseous release. At the same time, emissions inventory is a prerequisite of Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) studies. Manure management emissions are usually estimated using equations developed ...