Jump to Main Content
- Paruk, James D., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- The Science of the total environment 2019 v.695 pp. 133849
- Gavia immer; adults; birds; breeding; coasts; data collection; death; fuel oils; habitats; lakes; marine environment; migratory behavior; monitoring; nests; oil spills; reproductive success; surveys; tankers; wildlife management; Maine; Rhode Island
- ... Oil spills are a widespread problem in the marine environment and can have extensive acute and chronic adverse impacts to resident and migratory biota. On 19 January 1996, the North Cape oil tanker caught fire and grounded on the coast of Rhode Island resulting in the spill of 828,000 gal (3134 metric tonnes) of home heating oil. It resulted in the estimated death of nearly 2300 birds, including a ...
- Paruk, James D., et al. Show all 8 Authors
- The Science of the total environment 2016 v.565 pp. 360-368
- Gavia; adults; birds; blood; blood sampling; carbon; hematocrit; hemoglobin; molecular weight; oil spills; polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons; Louisiana
- ... We captured 93 wintering adult and subadult Common Loons (Gavia immer) in coastal Louisiana from 2011 to 2015 following the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. We tested blood samples for exposure to polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) and measured physiological variables including hematocrit, hemoglobin and total blood protein. PAH concentrations in loon blood differed from year to year and by age c ...