Jump to Main Content
- Naranjo, Steven E.; Ellsworth, Peter C.
- The Southwestern entomologist 2010 v.35 no.3 pp. 437
- Gossypium hirsutum; transgenic plants; integrated pest management; insect control; biological control; bacterial insecticides; Pectinophora gossypiella; Lygus hesperus; Bemisia tabaci; insect pests; plant pests; invasive species; Bacillus thuringiensis; bacterial proteins; crystal proteins; insecticidal proteins; transgenes; Arizona
- ... The pink bollworm, Pectinophora gossypiella (Saunders), first invaded Arizona in 1926 and has been a key pest of cotton, Gossypium hirsutum L., since the early 1960s. A broad range of tactics has been developed to manage this pest including a variety of cultural methods, mating disruption via pheromones, sterile insect release, and plant resistance. Transgenic cotton producing the insecticidal pro ...
- Blanco, Carlos A.; Portilla, Maribel; Jurat-Fuentes, Juan Luis; Sáánchez, Jaime F.; Viteri, Diego; Vega-Aquino, Paulina; Teráán-Vargas, Antonio P.; Azuara-Domíínguez, Ausencio; Lóópez, Juan D.; Arias, Renéée; Zhu, Yu-Cheng; Lugo-Barrera, David; Jackson, Ryan
- The Southwestern entomologist 2010 v.35 no.3 pp. 409
- Spodoptera frugiperda; insect pests; insecticide resistance; Bacillus thuringiensis; crystal proteins; insecticidal proteins; bacterial toxins; genetic resistance; genetic background; backcrossing; inheritance (genetics); recessive genes; geographical variation; transgenic plants; corn; cotton; Zea mays; Gossypium hirsutum; Puerto Rico; Mexico; Texas; Mississippi
- ... The fall armyworm, Spodoptera frugiperda (J. E. Smith), is one of the most important insect pests on the American continent. Its control has relied primarily on multiple applications of insecticides that can amount to 1,000 g of active ingredient per hectare on some of approximately 30 crops the insect damages. The use of genetically engineered crops that express Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) Berlin ...