Jump to Main Content
- Benesh, Daniel P.; Kalbe, Martin
- The journal of animal ecology 2016 v.85 no.4 pp. 1004-1013
- Gasterosteus aculeatus; Schistocephalus; Trematoda; cages; community structure; cross immunity; energy; field experimentation; fish; foraging; immune response; interspecific competition; intraspecific variation; lakes; tapeworms
- ... Non‐random species associations occur in naturally sampled parasite communities. The processes resulting in predictable community structure (e.g. particular host behaviours, cross‐immunity, interspecific competition) could be affected by traits that vary within a parasite species, like growth or antigenicity. We experimentally infected three‐spined sticklebacks with a large tapeworm (Schistocephal ...
- Jennings, David E.; Krupa, James J.; Rohr, Jason R.
- The journal of animal ecology 2016 v.85 no.4 pp. 973-981
- Araneae; Drosera; arthropods; carnivorous plants; experimental design; foraging; interspecific competition; predators; toads; trichomes; webs
- ... Foraging modalities (e.g. passive, sit‐and‐wait, active) and traits are plastic in some species, but the extent to which this plasticity affects interspecific competition remains unclear. Using a long‐term laboratory mesocosm experiment, we quantified competition strength and the plasticity of foraging traits in a guild of generalist predators of arthropods with a range of foraging modalities. Eac ...