Jump to Main Content
- Jennings, David E.; Krupa, James J.; Rohr, Jason R.
- The journal of animal ecology 2016 v.85 no.4 pp. 973-981
- Araneae; Drosera; arthropods; carnivorous plants; experimental design; foraging; interspecific competition; predators; toads; trichomes; webs
- ... Foraging modalities (e.g. passive, sit‐and‐wait, active) and traits are plastic in some species, but the extent to which this plasticity affects interspecific competition remains unclear. Using a long‐term laboratory mesocosm experiment, we quantified competition strength and the plasticity of foraging traits in a guild of generalist predators of arthropods with a range of foraging modalities. Eac ...
- Palacios, Maria M.; Killen, Shaun S.; Nadler, Lauren E.; White, James R.; McCormick, Mark I.
- The journal of animal ecology 2016 v.85 no.4 pp. 1078-1086
- Plectropomus leopardus; Pomacentrus; Pseudochromis fuscus; energy; fish meat; food webs; foraging; juveniles; metabolism; oxygen; predation; predators; stress response
- ... Predation theory and empirical evidence suggest that top predators benefit the survival of resource prey through the suppression of mesopredators. However, whether such behavioural suppression can also affect the physiology of resource prey has yet to be examined. Using a three‐tier reef fish food web and intermittent‐flow respirometry, our study examined changes in the metabolic rate of resource ...
- PubMed Central: