Jump to Main Content
- Kim, Sin‐Yeon; Metcalfe, Neil B.; Velando, Alberto; Plaistow, Stewart
- The journal of animal ecology 2016 v.85 no.3 pp. 705-714
- Gasterosteus aculeatus; breeding season; environmental factors; evolution; genetic variation; genotype; genotype-environment interaction; juveniles; life history; longevity; males; pleiotropy; temperature
- ... The environment can play an important role in the evolution of senescence because the optimal allocation between somatic maintenance and reproduction depends on external factors influencing life expectancy. The aims of this study were to experimentally test whether environmental conditions during early life can shape senescence schedules, and if so, to examine whether variation among individuals o ...
- PubMed Central:
- Benesh, Daniel P.; Kalbe, Martin
- The journal of animal ecology 2016 v.85 no.4 pp. 1004-1013
- Gasterosteus aculeatus; Schistocephalus; Trematoda; cages; community structure; cross immunity; energy; field experimentation; fish; foraging; immune response; interspecific competition; intraspecific variation; lakes; tapeworms
- ... Non‐random species associations occur in naturally sampled parasite communities. The processes resulting in predictable community structure (e.g. particular host behaviours, cross‐immunity, interspecific competition) could be affected by traits that vary within a parasite species, like growth or antigenicity. We experimentally infected three‐spined sticklebacks with a large tapeworm (Schistocephal ...