Jump to Main Content
- Prugh, Laura R., et al. Show all 2 Author
- The journal of animal ecology 2012 v.81 no.3 pp. 667-678
- Dipodomys; burrows; community structure; ecosystems; equations; grasslands; habitats; invertebrates; lizards; models; small mammals; California
- ... 1. Ecosystem engineers impact communities by altering habitat conditions, but they can also have strong effects through consumptive, competitive and other non‐engineering pathways. 2. Engineering effects can lead to fundamentally different community dynamics than non‐engineering effects, but the relative strengths of these interactions are seldom quantified. 3. We combined structural equation mode ...
- Prugh, Laura R., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- The journal of animal ecology 2015 v.84 no.1 pp. 177-187
- Canis lupus; breeding; breeding season; data collection; mortality; national parks; population growth; probability; recruitment; social cohesion; social structure; wolves; Alaska
- ... The importance of individuals to the dynamics of populations may depend on reproductive status, especially for species with complex social structure. Loss of reproductive individuals in socially complex species could disproportionately affect population dynamics by destabilizing social structure and reducing population growth. Alternatively, compensatory mechanisms such as rapid replacement of bre ...