Jump to Main Content
- Busenberg, George J.
- TheAmerican behavioral scientist 2004 v.48 no.3 pp. 314-326
- disasters; ecosystems; fuels; fuels (fire ecology); issues and policy; learning; uncertainty; wildfires; United States
- ... Wildfire disasters threaten numerous communities and ecosystems in America today. An effective policy strategy to counteract the threat of wildfire disasters would entail the reduction of accumulated fuels (flammable organic materials) found across large areas in many American ecosystems. Major uncertainties surround this policy endeavor because fuel reduction has never been attempted on such larg ...
- Birkland, Thomas A.
- TheAmerican behavioral scientist 2004 v.48 no.3 pp. 341-364
- aviation; issues and policy; learning
- ... This article considers whether policy makers in the aviation security field have learned from actual or apparent aviation security breaches in the late 1980s through 2001. The author finds that the loss of Pan Am Flight 103 in 1988 and of TWA Flight 800 in 1996 did lead to greater policy-making attention to a relatively narrow range of issues raised by these events. The author also finds that the ...