Jump to Main Content
- McGuire, Michelle K; Meehan, Courtney L; McGuire, Mark A; Williams, Janet E; Foster, James; Sellen, Daniel W; Kamau-Mbuthia, Elizabeth W; Kamundia, Egidioh W; Mbugua, Samwel; Moore, Sophie E; Prentice, Andrew M; Kvist, Linda J; Otoo, Gloria E; Brooker, Sarah L; Price, William J; Shafii, Bahman; Placek, Caitlyn; Lackey, Kimberly A; Robertson, Bianca; Manzano, Susana; Ruíz, Lorena; Rodríguez, Juan M; Pareja, Rossina G; Bode, Lars
- TheAmerican journal of clinical nutrition 2017 v.105 no.5 pp. 1086-1100
- body mass index; breast feeding; breast milk; environmental factors; genetic similarity; genetic variation; high performance liquid chromatography; milk; observational studies; oligosaccharides; women; Gambia; Sweden
- ... Background: Human milk is a complex fluid comprised of myriad substances, with one of the most abundant substances being a group of complex carbohydrates referred to as human milk oligosaccharides (HMOs). There has been some evidence that HMO profiles differ in populations, but few studies have rigorously explored this variability. Objectives: We tested the hypothesis that HMO profiles differ in d ...
- PubMed Central:
- Thorning, Tanja Kongerslev; Bertram, Hanne Christine; Bonjour, Jean-Philippe; de Groot, Lisette; Dupont, Didier; Feeney, Emma; Ipsen, Richard; Lecerf, Jean Michel; Mackie, Alan; McKinley, Michelle C; Michalski, Marie-Caroline; Rémond, Didier; Risérus, Ulf; Soedamah-Muthu, Sabita S; Tholstrup, Tine; Weaver, Connie; Astrup, Arne; Givens, Ian
- TheAmerican journal of clinical nutrition 2017 v.105 no.5 pp. 1033-1045
- body weight; bone health; cheeses; coronary disease; dairy consumption; digestion; food matrix; intestinal absorption; noninsulin-dependent diabetes mellitus; nutrient content; nutrients; nutrition assessment; nutritive value; processing technology; risk factors; stroke; yogurt
- ... Foods consist of a large number of different nutrients that are contained in a complex structure. The nature of the food structure and the nutrients therein (i.e., the food matrix) will determine the nutrient digestion and absorption, thereby altering the overall nutritional properties of the food. Thus, the food matrix may exhibit a different relation with health indicators compared to single nut ...