Jump to Main Content
- Ackermann, Ronald T.; Marrero, David G.
- TheDiabetes educator 2007 v.33 no.1 pp. 69-78
- adults; clinical trials; cost effectiveness; diabetes; glucose tolerance; lifestyle; models; overweight; physical activity
- ... The Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) demonstrated that a structured diet and physical activity intervention that achieves and maintains modest weight loss for over-weight adults with impaired glucose tolerance can significantly reduce the development of diabetes. Although tens of millions of American adults could benefit from access to the DPP lifestyle intervention, there currently is no availab ...
- McKennon, Skye Aiko; Campbell, R. Keith
- TheDiabetes educator 2007 v.33 no.1 pp. 55-66
- glucagon-like peptide 1; glucose; homeostasis; noninsulin-dependent diabetes mellitus; polypeptides; secretin; therapeutics; Switzerland
- ... With the rising prevalence of diabetes, new therapies that provide glucose control are needed. Although many medications are available, tight glucose control is still a challenge. In this article, the physiology of glucose home-ostasis is explored with respect to type 2 diabetes. The incretin effect is explained in detail, and the incretin hormones, glucose-dependent insulinotrophic polypeptide an ...