Jump to Main Content
- Schmink, Marianne; Hoelle, Jeffrey; Gomes, Carlos Valério A.; Thaler, Gregory M.
- TheJournal of peasant studies 2019 v.46 no.2 pp. 377-399
- deforestation; ecology; environmental governance; forests; issues and policy; politics; uncertainty; violence; Amazonia; Brazil
- ... The Amazonian frontier, shaped by developmentalist policies in the 1970s and 1980s and a socio-environmental response in the 1990s, has historically been a site of widespread violence and environmental destruction. After the imposition of new environmental governance measures in the mid-2000s, deforestation rates in the Brazilian Amazon dropped to historic lows. Many analyses of this ‘greening’ of ...
- Correia, Joel E.
- TheJournal of peasant studies 2019 v.46 no.2 pp. 316-336
- ecology; environmental governance; industry; politics; soybeans; territoriality; transgenic plants; violence; Latin America; Paraguay
- ... Soy production has radically transformed the social, ecological, territorial and political form of Paraguay. This paper traces waves of sojización – soy territorialization – to analyze how soybean resource politics are changing environmental governance and state–society relations in Paraguay. I argue that political, social and ecological ruptures mark each territorialization: agrarian reforms that ...