Jump to Main Content
- Rosas, Teresa; Mencuccini, Maurizio; Barba, Josep; Cochard, Hervé; Saura‐Mas, Sandra; Martínez‐Vilalta, Jordi
- Thenew phytologist 2019 v.223 no.2 pp. 632-646
- stemwood, etc ; Fagaceae; Pinaceae; carbon; embolism; environmental factors; intraspecific variation; leaf area; leaf mass; leaves; nitrogen; resource allocation; sapwood; space and time; stable isotopes; trees; turgor; wood density; Spain; Show all 19 Subjects
- ... Trait variability in space and time allows plants to adjust to changing environmental conditions. However, we know little about how this variability is distributed and coordinated at different organizational levels. For six dominant tree species in northeastern Spain (three Fagaceae and three Pinaceae) we quantified the inter‐ and intraspecific variability of a set of traits along a water availabi ...
- Furze, Morgan E.; Huggett, Brett A.; Aubrecht, Donald M.; Stolz, Claire D.; Carbone, Mariah S.; Richardson, Andrew D.
- Thenew phytologist 2019 v.221 no.3 pp. 1466-1477
- stemwood, etc ; allometry; branches; chemical constituents of plants; ecosystems; equations; forest inventory; forest stands; growing season; models; roots; spring; starch; sugars; trees; woody plants; Show all 16 Subjects
- ... Despite the importance of nonstructural carbohydrates (NSC) for growth and survival in woody plants, we know little about whole‐tree NSC storage. The conventional theory suggests that NSC reserves will increase over the growing season and decrease over the dormant season. Here, we compare storage in five temperate tree species to determine the size and seasonal fluctuation of whole‐tree total NSC ...